Thursday, October 02, 2014

#Blogtober14...Day 1 & 2

So today I stumbled upon the #Blogtober14 challenge over on Helene in Between's blog, and I decided to do it because A) It would give me a chance to do some serious blogging and B)It would give my readers the opportunity to get to know me better! So I obviously missed day 1, and day 2 is an hour shy of being over, so here goes - Day 1 & 2!

Day 1 - If I won the lottery I'd...
Well it all depends on how much I win, but lets be optimistic and say I hit the big time, a couple Million Rand, a few Hundred Thousand Pound, yeah, that sounds about right!!

After doing my little Sue Heck scream and a happy dance, my rational thinking self would immediately want to put about half of the winnings into some form of savings/investment and settle any debts we have owing - Boring right!!!

Then my spending splurging self would do the following:
1 - Give both my parents, Riaan's parents, and our siblings a portion of the winnings.
2 - Go on an amazing vacation or 3 - like proper bucketlist vacations or if I could I would pack up our stuff, put it in storage and travel the world!
3 - Buy a giraffe or 2 and a place to keep them - a farm or manor of sorts.
Me with my absolute favourite animal in the whole world!
4 - Open a bakery/cakery.
5 - Splurge on some high tech gadgets.
6 - Do a bit of a wardrobe overhaul.

Basically I would live out the uninvested money and enjoy life, it is short afterall!

Day 2 - Dream Job when I was little...
When I was about 5 I wanted to be a marine biologist. I had visions that my days would be spent swimming with dolphins...in hindsight I think I was probably watching The Little Mermaid WAY to much!

As I got older my dream "when I'm big" job changed, I wanted to be a doctor, then a veterinarian (this was highly protested by my family, because I would most likely bring home every animal that didn't have a home or had to be "out to sleep").

Then the big one - I wanted to be a singer/actor, I wanted to be famous, to make it. I watched grease and dirty dancing countless times. I wanted to be the girl on tv. That kind of stuck...I watch Glee, I'm a self-confessed Gleek and I still catch myself daydreaming of what it would be like to have a day job that requires you to entertain people and to be a completely different person than yourself. I love expressing myself creatively.

Then I wanted to be a paediatrician, then a teacher... HOLY COW! It seems like I didn't know what I wanted! Or that I had big dreams for myself!!
 
My parents always always said I got the brains in the family, they encouraged me to follow the academic route, because I was good at it and it was a more certain thing. So even though I love singing, dancing, painting, and all things creative, that's what I did, now I am well on my way to becoming a Qualified Certified Chartered Accountant! Not bad eh!! I am proud of myself and my achievements, it most definitely hasn't been easy, but that's what makes it worth it!

As a side note I do think it is important to encourage your children to follow their dreams and to keep their creative juices flowing even if it isn't exactly what you had planned for them.



2 comments:

  1. I am so so thrilled that you found the link up! I love that quote about your dreams- it's so true! I think it's so neat that if you won the lotto you'd open a bakery!! what a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's my first link up to be honest and I'm loving it!I really think it's important to instill confidence in your children and their dreams! I loveve that you would travel and attend festivals, sounds like it'll be a huge party!!! :)

      Delete