Sunday, August 31, 2014

Kindle vs real books...


Let me start off by saying I am a book lover. I was the little girl who's favourite Disney princess was Belle and all I ever wanted was her library.

Nothing will ever feel quite as natural as a real book in my hand. But having said that I am forced to tell you that nothing gets my panties in a bunch quite as much as my books getting damaged (cracked spines, bunny ears, food/drinks spilled, water damage, the list is endless)...and that's bound to happen with all the travelling we do. I am guilty of shoving my book into my handbag while disembarking a plane (resulting in damaged corners), of soaking in a hot bubble bath - book in hand, of spilling water on my book while reading...terrible, I know!!

About 4 years ago my best friend got a kindle and I gave her so much crap about it. I mean nothing can replace the feel and smell of a real book! AND no gadget will ever impress me quite as much as Belle's library did!
I mean, just look at it!!
Now here I am 4 years later and I have my bookshelf filled with my childhood collections, textbooks, a few novels and the latest addition, my kindle.
My bookshelf

The latest addition to the family!

At 14 I was reading at least 1 book every week and eventually when me needing a new book every other week became too much for my mom she got me a library card, I was there at least once a week, in my element!

So what made me decide to buy a kindle you ask?

Well, firstly, I was in Dubai and they were quite cheap because everything was on summer sale, and secondly, we will be moving soon and I will be needing some reading material and even though I will be putting my books in storage for now, eventually I will have to ship them and their beloved bookshelf halfway across the world!

So here is a quick list of my pro's and con's of a kindle vs real books:

Pro's

  • It's lightweight and compact, smaller than my average book.
  • I can read in the dark without bothering hubby or anyone else with the lights being on.
  • I can store hundreds of books on it. 
  • There are a lot of free books to download for the kindle. 
  •  Kindle ebooks are cheaper than real books and when you buy them online you have them instantly, no delivery time.    
  • It doubles as a tablet, all android apps can be downloaded from the Appstore!
  • I can shove it in my handbag and it won't get bunny ears. 
  • Did I mention that it's really small, I won't be needing a big bookshelf for a while, just my bedside drawer!
Con's
  • It took me a while to figure out how to download books ( RTFM Simone!)
  • It doesn't feel as good as a real book.
  • Although the spine won't crack, the screen might if I drop it (I still need to get a cover for it!)
  • If you run out of battery life you have nothing to read.
  • You need an internet connection to download books (which is not a problem for me because hubby can't live without internet but it may be a problem for others).
So as you can see, the con's really aren't that bad and with a little foresight & research you shouldn't have a problem. I for one am loving my kindle and don't regret buying it at all!




No comments:

Post a Comment